Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On the eve of Iraq

I am headed to Iraq for the 2nd time in 5 years, though not as a Marine this time, as a civilian contractor. I have been in Houston for the past 2 1/2 weeks for processing.
As I sit in my posh, Hilton suite on the night before flying to Baghdad, I feel compelled to share just a few of the observations and events that I have seen over the last several days. First and foremost, this "posh suite" I speak of did not come to me entirely free of charge. After the contracting company for whom I am working for felt it necessary to pair me up with a roommate last week, I was finally offered the opportunity to have my own room.....simply because, according to the male manager here, "really good-looking people get 'special treatment'." Thanks, buddy. As flattered as I was not, I do appreciate the two plasma TVs and feather bed. Much more was said to me about this man's wishes and desires towards me, however, this is a public blog and I will stop here.
I have met many people from all walks of life, all here with the common goal of getting ahead in life with some contracting work in a war zone. Some had 2-inch-long earrings in the shape of the great state of Texas. Many lacked the desire and/or aptitude to properly hygiene on a regular basis. I have never heard more double negatives and/or a complete ignorance of how to properly place a subject and predicate together. I am still at a loss as to the appeal of a "grill" (gold or silver-capped TEEF) or the benefit of tattooing your own name on your body (in case you forget the correct spelling, perhaps?). However, at the end of the day, the majority of these people are very patriotic and willing to work as hard as they can to get ahead in life, and I respect that. This should be a very interesting journey.

3 comments:

Alex M said...

"Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" --derek zoolander

Brian said...

Jim
Eagerly awaiting news of your safe arrival in Baghdad. I'm in the Midwest for the St. Louis Film Festival for my film "The Thacker Case," (see photo) and I have to tell you the screening went pretty well last night at the Tivoli Theater. Wish you could have been there. Today is a bittersweet day for me for obvious reasons that I will not go into, but thanks for all the support the past month. It means a lot to me. Let us know when you get there. Brian J.

Patrick said...

Hey Jim, you forgot to mention the 'colorful' girl ,with the tattoo, who thought she was 'sexy'.