Friday, July 17, 2009

Mortars Are For Cowards

I typically don't write about the daily mortar and rocket attacks because I don't want to worry my friends and family back home.  I'll make an exception for this post. We received the worst attack I have seen since 2004, when I was here as a Marine. I returned from the gym at about 9pm. At 915, I had just sat down and began checking emails, when I heard that distinctive, deep percussion "thmp!" in the distance; it is a sound that anyone whom has spent significant time in a war zone will be able to instantly identify- a mortar exiting its tube. This ominous sound alerts you to the fact that impact is imminent and only seconds away. All which time allowed me to do was drop to the floor and lie as flat as possible, as indirect fire blasts throw shrapnel up and out, in a mushroom shape. Sure enough, multiple rounds detonated in my camp. Rocks and dirt flew everywhere  I would give exact proximity to my office, but I would prefer to avoid giving those cowards any extra useful information (the instant, 24-hour-news-feeds gives them enough) After the first 10 hits, I made my way to the reinforced bunker, just in time to hear the volleys of more mortars being launched. This is as much as I will write, as I don't want to divulge any further details on this public blog. This article provides more details.... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31957966/ns/world_news-conflict_in_iraq/
My time in Basra has been filled with nightly rocket attacks. At times, it's reminded me of Abu Ghraib prison, where we were mortared and rocketed all day, every day. Several soldiers here, some of whom were my friends, have been killed. I have survived hundreds of mortars and rockets in my time in Iraq, and I hate them just as much now as I did at Abu Ghraib.   I detest the feeling of extreme vulnerability they fill you with once you hear them leave their tubes, not knowing where they will land, but that they are obviously close enough for you to hear their fins cutting the air.
The word is that the "bad guys" (insurgents, Al Qaeda-in-Iraq, etc) are trying to ramp up attacks across Iraq in an effort to undermine the Iraqi Army, whom are now taking over security as the US troops withdraw.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My butthole still puckers a lil when a distant door slams and recreates the impact sounds. Stay safe. -MW

Rose said...

Okay, I must be overly emotional right now, but reading this has made me cry. You're in my prayers, Jim. Stay safe. Xoxo - Rose

Terry said...

Head down...eyes up....

You Know You have been in Iraq too long when. ...

·When mortars land near your compound and you roll over in bed and think "still way off, I got another 5 minutes"

·You walk an extra 6 blocks to eat at the KBR (contractor run) dining facility to have the exact same food they are serving in your dining facility because you think it tastes better

·You start picturing your wife in traditional Arab dress

·The contractors have more fire power than the military combat units. (This is true)

·Driving around in SUVs with weapons pointed out the windows and forcing cars off the road seems very normal to you

·When the organization you work for has changed its name more than 3 times

·When you actually get excited to get a package that contains 3 pair of socks, 12 bars of soap and a Victoria Secret Catalog

·When you start to enjoy the rocking of the trailer every time the MEDEVAC choppers fly over

·You see celebratory fire going over the compound at night and think, "wow the colors are so pretty" and want to fire back

·You're in the Marines and you start saying Hooah

·You only notice the stench of Haji funk when its not there

·You plan on removing all trees and grass in your yard when you get home so it will look more natural

·The temp drops down to 102 degrees and you shiver while reaching for your Gortex jacket

·When 12 hours is a short work day

·When you end every phone conversation with "Out"

·When the weapon buyback program has become so successful that you have issued the same AK-47 to the Iraqi army 3 times

·When you can actually tell the difference between the sound of an exploding car and an exploding mortar

·You see an indirect fire attack take out an air conditioner and your vigor to fight is renewed

·You know that you need to run inside immediately after any win of an Iraqi sports team to keep from being hit by celebratory fire

·You never worry about oversleeping because if the morning call to prayers doesn't wake you, the daily 0430 mortar attack will (most mornings)

·A rocket or a mortar really isn't a big deal until the crater it leaves is big enough to trip over in the dark on the way to the latrine

·You go to a social gathering and intermittent gun fire or explosions don't even cause a pause in the conversation

Terry said...

I found two more jokes that I thought were great and decided to go ahead and share them now insted of later...
The first - if you ever wondered where all the tradition in the Marines started or how you had it worse than the "new" guys.....

Back in 1775, in Tun's Tavern, recruiting started for the new Marine Corps. The very first Marine enlistee came in, signed the papers and took an oath. He was then told to go outside and wait for the other enlistee's to go through the process. They would assemble later on the front yard.
After a few minutes the second enlistee came out and had a seat on the steps, beside the first. The first man looked at the second and began, "Son, let me tell you about the Old Corps."

And then just some Marine hierarchy humor -
The five Most Dangerous Things you will hear in the Marine Corps:
A Private saying, "I learned this in Basic Training..."
A Sergeant saying, "Trust me, sir..."
A Second Lieutenant saying, "Based on my experience..."
A Captain saying, "I was just thinking..."
A Sergeant Major chuckling, "Watch this shit..."

Work as hard as you must. Be well. Stay safe.