Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Candy, Camels, and Bedouins




These pictures portray local camel herders; bedouins. Since patroling Khaladiyah and Abu Ghraib with the Marines, I have always enjoyed handing out candy to little kids (though not for the same reason my good friend, Matt Haley, likes to....). A lot of the kids don't have much of anything, and it's always nice to see them light up at something as seemingly small as some candy or a bottle of fresh water.
Though I don't get these opportunity as much anymore, I do enjoy them when they're presented.

4 comments:

Taryn said...

You have a sassy tongue on you when I'm not around to stomp on it. Perhaps I will misuse your beard trimmer again. It is true, I was the Santa Claus of candy and soccer balls to those kids. --Matt

Terry said...

The test of the morality of a society is what it does for its children. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
......
A sailor in a bar leans over to the guy next to him and says, ''Wanna hear a MARINE joke?''

The guy next to him replies, ''Well, before you tell that joke, you should know something. I'm 6' tall, 200 lbs, and I'm a MARINE. The guy sitting next to me is 6'2'' tall, weighs 225, and he's a MARINE. The fella next to him is 6'5'' tall, weighs 250, and he's also a MARINE. Now, you still wanna tell that joke?''

The sailor says, ''Nah, I don't want to have to explain it three times.''

Rose said...

You are an admirable man, my friend. That you are.

Taryn said...

Rose is mistaken. You are a scoundrel and your deeds are misunderstood. As I know well from having battled beside you against the heathen hordes in 2004, your motivations are almost always sideways and discreet. "Hey Sgt, I am going to go talk to these kids." When you should actually say "Hey Sgt, this kid just said 'mista mista whisky ten ten five' and I plan to see what he's got." I love you ---Matt