Friday, January 9, 2009

1/3 of my life is complete

Yesterday was my 30th birthday. I appreciate the multitude of Facebook birthday wishings. Unfortunately I cannot reply to anyone on Facebook at this time due to my laptop dying yesterday. I am now only able to use the community computers, contained in dusty tents with long lines of soldiers and contractors waiting to log into what seems like IBM computers using Prodigy dialup. Perhaps its Compuserve....nonetheless, they and the service are prehistoric. I had been paying a small, monthly fee to have internet in my hooch, but can obviously not utilize that until my laptop is fixed. I have since turned my dead laptop into an Iraqi man from Nasiriyah, who has a small repair shop in the local hadji-mart. He has a good reputation and his price, along with diagnosis, seem fair. Until then, no facebook and no pictures attached to these posts. (facebook is not allowed on government computers due to the amount of bandwidth used)
30 is a landmark. I don't like it much, but then I don't have much of a choice. I am glad I quit drinking while still in my 20's, as you're much more prone to being labeled a "drunk" if you're seen overly-imbibing while past 29....at least in my opinion, anyway. Why not just not have more than one beer, you may ask? Why quit? Well, if you must ask this, then you don't know me well.....beer drinking was the olympics, and I was a gold medalist- enough said. It's like the Tim McGraw song, "My Next 30 Years"- 'drink a little lemonade and not so many beers....maybe I'll remember, my next thirty years'.
I share my birthday with Elvis Presley (with whom I share sex appeal and good looks), Stephen Hawking (who shares my intellect and ability to hit a golf ball), Charles Osgood (whom I believe says "and now, the REST of the story-I could be wrong), and David Bowie (whom I fortunately share only a birthday with).
I did nothing on my birthday other than overload on "Airborn" drink mix to thwart a headcold, and continually remove/replace/push power button/pray in futile efforts to get the computer to work. I did eat a piece of apple-like pie, which was decent after drowning it in a large dose of ice cream.
I shall write again soon......

3 comments:

Terry said...

Happy Birthday "Young Man".
I attach the following grudgingly and only for the 30th..:-)

Shortly after President Bush took office, an old Marine veteran approached the White House from the park across Pennsylvania Ave. where he'd been sitting on a park bench. He spoke to the US Marine standing guard and said, "I would like to go in and meet with President Clinton."

The marine looked at the vet and said, "Sir, Mr. Clinton is no longer president and no longer resides here." The old vet said, "Okay," and walked away.

The following day, the same vet approached the White House and said to the same Marine, "I would like to go in and meet with President Clinton."

The marine again told the vet, "Sir, Mr. Clinton is no longer president and no longer resides here." The vet thanked him and, again, just walked away.

The third day, the same vet approached the White House and spoke to the very same Marine saying, "I would like to go in and meet with President Clinton."

The Marine, understandably agitated at this point, looked at the vet and said, "Sir, this is the third day in a row that you have been here asking to speak to Mr. Clinton and I've already told you that Mr. Clinton is no longer the president and no longer resides here. Don't you understand?"

The old vet looked at the Marine and said, "Oh, I understand. I just love hearing it."

The marine snapped to attention, saluted and said, "See you tomorrow, Sir!"

Rose said...

You are hilarious. THIRTY is a great age. And since you were born 1 year and 1 day after me, I have the right to say so. . . I turned 31 on Wednesday.

Anyway, as far as drinking is concerned, it's fun to do when only w/ adults and only every now and then. Of course, this is coming from a girl who didn't drink until she was 27 so you actually do have a few years on me there. HA!

Happy Birthday, again. Sorry to hear about your laptop. That totally sucks.

When you don't blog, you're missed.

Love ya, guy!

Brian said...

Jim

I enjoyed reading this post... again, Happy Birthday. I hope you are able to get your laptop fixed very soon... I would love to see some pics of how your beard is progressing as I am recording its growth on a small chalkboard located on my desk. I also believe you shall be receiving another package from the Jun household very soon.

As you know, I'm very happy and proud that you have made the choice to quit drinking. Oh, the similarities, the struggles, the achievements - it's been 30 years for you and you've done well, my friend. You've lived and you've never turned your back on life. For that reason alone, makes for many great years ahead. You are an entrepreneur, a serviceman, a Marine, a college graduate and a hell of a nice guy. You've done and seen a lot. The next 30 are going to be great - hopefully I will be there to share in it, although I have a slightly better haircut. Keep it up. Keep it real. Keep posting. BJJ