Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Christmas


This is me and my friend Rodan, my favorite Iraqi worker. He hails from the town of Nasiriyah and has been working here for 4 years. We get along very well, as we share similar senses of humor, both have the same work ethic, and a fondness for European football (soccer). We also go to the same barber, though I have a slightly better haircut.
For my Christmas dinner, Rodan was kind enough to bring me a plate of "Ganam", which is the arabic word for sheep (I may have misspelled it), for dinner. His mother prepared it, along with potatoes...that was a week ago, and I thus far have no symptoms of worms. That was the highlight of my holiday, as it was work from 6am-7pm as usual. I didn't make an attempt at the chow hall, as thanksgiving proved to be bad enough....too crowded, among a few other things I have previously written about.
My Christmas Day went as follows, which as I said, was the same as any other day- woke up at 0455. Breakfast carryout from the chow hall, eaten on the way to the office. Worked from 6am until noon, supervising Iraqis and Indians emptying dumpers throughout the base. I then worked out at the Air Force gym from noon until 1300, as it's much more tolerable to work out there than at the army gym, due to my disdain for the national guard operating here. I then worked from 1300-1800, heading back to the office to finish my paperwork until 1900. For lunch I usually grab a sandwich from the chow hall and carry it with me as to save time so I can get a good workout in. I generally don't eat dinner, as I'm asleep by 2100 anyway.
I will soon be leaving Rodan and Hamza and working with a new group of Iraqis and Injuns; building fences, roads, and any other general labor task that needs completed. I'm happy about this, though I'll miss Rodan and the Red Baron. Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Rose said...

Merry Christmas, my friend. Sorry you had to work, but at least that gave you something to do, right? Good to hear you got a work out in at some point. Of course, from what I understand a military gym in Iraq is really just a weights machines and treadmill?? Anyway, I hope you are able to get a break and take time to reflect about this year as you venture into 2009. Blessings!

Terry said...

I liked this one...
Everyone know of the EGA (for those morrons it is the Eagle Globe and anchor- the symbol of the Marine corp). Now here is the story of it.
There are a few parts... they are the eagle- stolen from the Air Force, the anchor- stolen from the Navy, The rope- stolen from the army- and the globe- that on the 7th day when god rested we over ran his borders and stole it. and we have been running the whole show ever since.
That is the true Marine corps. "may god forgive their souls for their asses belong to us.

Andre3k said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year buddy. I love the beard. It's still going strong I see. Very nice. I also caught the American Psycho haircut reference.

Brian said...

About 15 seconds into reading this post, I erupted in laughter... By the way, happy early birthday. Glad to hear you're working out and keeping that rock-star physique up to par. Does this mean you and Rodan will be parting ways soon?