Monday, December 8, 2008

You clean! You clean!

As I've written, I was hired by the Department of Defense as a labor foreman- supervising foreign workers as they complete tasks ranging from base cleanup to the building of perimeter fences or reinforced buildings.

I'd like to write a quick note to emphasize just how much, in my current assignment, I am enjoying supervising my Indian worker, Gen Sherman, and Roden, the 20-year-old Iraqi. Now, I speak limited Arabic from my time here as a Marine, and Roden speaks some English. Together, we are able to communicate rather well. Neither of us, however, speak a word of Indian (Hindi). Whenever Gen Sherman gets upset about something and goes off on a rant of what I assume are Indian curse words, Roden and I just turn to each other, trying not to laugh because neither of us have a clue what's being shouted- and usually the rant is directed at us. I have mentioned the strong, "natural" scent of Gen. Sherman and the fact that I understand this is a cultural norm. However, Roden is not so refrained with his opinions of the man's hygiene habits. When Roden is upset with Gen Sherman, he shouts "No Hamza! You go clean! You go clean!" (instructing him to go bathe) It really doesn't seem to matter what the issue is, that's his response towards Gen Sherman. Whenever Roden finds a bar of soap in the trash, he grabs it, his face glowing with pride at the zinger he's about to deliver, and says "Hamza, you take soap! You clean, you clean! Every day! You clean, every day!" Hamza just smiles, knowing what is being implied despite the language barrier, only replying with "I am very clean! Every week I clean!"

2 comments:

Rose said...

Soooo funny. Stephen has worked with the Indian men within his company when they come to the states. I need to ask about their hygiene. Regardless, this made me spit out my drink while reading it.

Terry said...

I read all of your posts every day. Keep em coming.
Stya safe and be well.