Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Various Updates...

As much as I appreciate the Romanian dentist's willingness to help our subcontract-ors in need, my desire for the US to declare war on Romania grows greater with each day. I have no desire for bloodshed, I only yearn to be amused by watching their "military" wage battle against us. Judging by their inability to march or maintain even the slightest levels of physical fitness, I think the battle would be the most entertaining event in human history. For example, this is one of their tactical vehicles. Each of their vehicles proudly displays their national colors- I see a bullseye.
I have now taken two Nepali workers to see the dentist. One suffered from a nasty abscess and, after a cycle of antibiotics, had the problem-tooth extracted. The other gentleman had a double root canal performed on him; I can't imagine the amount of pain these guys were in prior to getting help. My anger at my employer and the US government, for subcontracting to companies who allow this to happen is stronger than ever.
I received an award earlier this week for staying up all night to assist in an emergency infrastructure problem. I was also up for "best looking on base" and "wittiest sense of humor", but lost out on both.
We are in the middle of a two-day sandstorm and it's far from enjoyable. My head, sinuses and throat are all in pain from breathing in 4,000-year-old camel dung, which is essentially what the dust is made up of.
My mission to capture the remaining cast members continues....as does my devising a plan for my war.

3 comments:

Terry said...

I have tried to focus on Marine jokes....Romanian jokes may be a little more difficult...we will have to focus on the former "communist" Romania and the current "democratic" Romania...
From the early democrtaic days....

Bill Clinton, Boris Yeltsin and Ion Iliescu are invited to see an airplane built entirely out of gold. They are told that they can enter it and look around for as long as they like, but they can't take anything. Clinton goes first, stays five minutes, upon his exit the metal detector blares; Clinton had taken a screw and a nail with him. Yeltsin goes second, stays five minutes, upon his exit the metal detector blares again; Yeltsin had stolen a fistful of screws. Finally, Iliescu enters the plane, and stays there five minutes. And another five minutes. And another... Suddenly, the plane takes off.

Or this from back on the communist days....
The Cluj local administration discusses the erecting of a statue of Avram Iancu. A counciler says "The statue should have a hand pointing to Hungary, so the Hungarians would know that we're watching them". Another one proposes that "in the hand, Iancu should have a noose, so they would know what to expect if they try to steal Transylvania". Another counciler proposes that "in the noose should be depicted a Hungarian". Then, Gheorghe Funar (the well known extremist Mayor of Cluj) says "I say that we should replace the Hungarian every day!".

Taryn said...

While you had grown accustomed to losing every contest of "best looking on base" and "wittiest sense of humor" while serving alongside Sgt Haley of Marines, it must have come as a suprise to learn that I took the award yet again even though I am not on your base, nor even in country. Long hangs the shadow of Sgt Haley indeed. ---Matt

Rose said...

I'll make this short. I hope you feel better. Life is rough around here right now.